View Single Post
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #23
ninjamama7
ninjette.org member

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 02 ninja 250r

I don't know about the mirrors...but the headlight would be an easy fix in two ways. I've seen my hubs do it to other bikes so I imagine it's the same for Ninjas.

1. Get some kitty hair bondo...works like bondo, but it's got some give to it so the vibrations from the bike don't crack it. And a tube of plastic putty (plastic parts putty). You can find it at most car part stores. Pull off your front fairing that surrounds the headlight. Now this may sound weird...but hang with me...lol. Go to your local Lowes, and check out the thin plexi glass. The thinnest version will work just fine because you're going to build it up with the kitty hair. Make a template with some paper in the shape you want to make the headlight look...say a "V" shape. Use a dremel tool (or get the Lowes guy to cut it for you), after you scribe or use a marker to trace the shape onto the plexi-glass. Make sure you leave enough on the flat edge, to lay over the edge of the faring or you will not have any way to attach it to the faring...say a half inch to be safe. Pre drill holes in plexi and farings...be CAREFUL...sloooww is the name of the game. Attach the plexi to the faring over the edge of the top part of the light hole. Now...mix the kitty hair as per the can instructions (add a little extra of the hardener if it's humid where you live...or it will take FOREVER to dry). Spread kitty hair over where two edges meet to make that connection line disappear. You don't have to be too neat, you're going to sand it. And don't build it up tooooo much. Once it's on, let it dry completely, and sand it (you may need a hand sander). Now lay a thin layer of the plastic putty over the entire thing. Let it dry and sand it between layers. You'll want a couple of layers so you can form the edges around the headlight smooth. Then once that's done, paint the faring to match. My hubs usually has people want their wind screen the same color as the bike...it looks really nice that way...but you don't have to do it that way.

2. Second choice is to take your headlight off. And tape it up in the shape you want it to be. Tape the part you want light to show thru. You can do a "V", evil eyes, circles...etc. Then, use a heat resistant spray paint and paint the untaped part of the headlight. Spray a clear sealer on it (you can find it in the car paint section of the car parts stores). The hubs has done this then used clear he uses to paint bikes and cars with and puts a small amount of black car paint in the clear to "smoke" out the light a little bit. This looks great with HID lights...

Okay...there's two ways I've seen it done. I decided to leave mine since my farings were so messed up that my hubs was on the verge of crazy from repairing them for me. One less thing for him to mess with...lol.