View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:59 AM   #16
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by outasight20 View Post
600 miles and you're ready to upgrade? It took me a few thousand miles on my Ninjette to really start to feel comfortable taking turns fast and riding smoothly. I rode my 250 for 8,000 miles before I upgraded...
I wouldn't rush into a bigger bike when you haven't even come close to mastering the 250 yet.

You can do the 15T front sprocket mod and that will smooth out the vibes a bit and let you shift into second a little later. It was one of the best mods I did on my bike and I highly recommend it. Finally, I get blown around just as much on my FZ6 as I did on my 250. The FZ6 is heavier, harder to do slow speed maneuvers with, and harder to work on than the 250. All reasons to really get comfortable with your little bike before upgrading.

Then again, the rush past 8K RPM on the FZ6 is exhilarating
I hear you, but the idea that you should master a 250 b4 moving to a bigger bike is not necessarily one I agree with. None of us mastered a 125 before getting the 250. Seems to me learning the fundamentals on a 250 and developing them on a larger bike is a reasonable approach.

Funny thing is I feel like the 250 actually makes me drive more aggressive then I would like to and a bigger bike would allow me to drive more comfortably. Does that seem crazy? Seems like because I get nothing at low revs I'm constantly seeking drilling through 1st and 2nd seeking that first rush of power. Depending on traffic conditions I may have to really wring the throttle a lot to stay out of blindspots, pass, etc.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote