View Single Post
Old March 27th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #1
infinitethrill
forever a n00b

Name: Billy

Motorcycle(s): 08 ex250J, 78 GL1000, 01 ex250f, 99 VFR800FI

Ninjette suddenly won't idle/run properly...

So, on the way to the parents garage with stainless steel brake line in bag to be installed, the bike all of a sudden starts running very strange, less than a mile to destination. Pulling away from stop stalls the bike. I have a K&N filter on the carbs, dan moto slip on, jet kit (running 110 main jets and needles shimmed up twice. Anyway, I get it to chug and I make it to garage. The bike will idle weakly and will go up and down on its own, and with some throttle will slowly rev up with a intermittent popping sound that would make the airfilter and carb shake. I got gas about 5 miles earlier, but made the distance with no problems.

Unrelated, but back when I was installing the jet kit and pulling the airbox, I took it for a run one exit down the freeway. Sure enough, at the very bottom, it wont start. That ended up being the carb that was loose in those rubber grommets between carb and engine creating a vacuum leak leaning it out. Fixed that after a 2 hour push up a hill at midnight. This is not the same issue however.

Pulled the fairings, and inspected the slides in the carb. Everything looks okay. Took apart and sprayed everything down with carb cleaner. Engine is making suction and sounds okay when being turned over with no carb attached. Carb back on the bike, with no air filter again tried to turn it over. Found the issue: the slide on the right side (didn't run it long enough to check the left) is bouncing up (almost like its vibrating very fast maybe) and the gas is igniting inside the carb with little pops of flame. This I assume isn't good. Everything is hooked up okay aside the K&N filter at this point. the raspy air intake noise I got when installing the K&N filter is the part that sounds distorted, along with a popping exhaust when bike stalls, but general intake sounds strange.

Ideas of where to go from here? the jets are not clogged, all that was cleaned out. Jetting and Idle mixture screws adjusted around 4000 miles ago, and have had no issues since.

Edit: here is a Video of the popping I just saw.
http://f.cl.ly/items/233U0f1I0S3q1S0q2Y0w/IMG_0849.MOV

Thanks for the help everyone!

- Billy

Last futzed with by infinitethrill; March 29th, 2012 at 01:01 AM.
infinitethrill is offline   Reply With Quote