View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #18
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I think I'm the perfect person to answer all of your questions, I have both bikes. Now I have the new 2012 650 not the older 650r. They changed a buncha stuff on it but the engine is the same. And honestly learning to ride on that kind of engine could prove difficult. It has a ton of power, more than you will ever use, extremely fast throttle response and its pretty jerky in the low speeds. It engine breaks hard. If you are trying to maneuver in 1st and 2nd and you cut throttle, you get thrown into the gas tank. Combine a more difficult to handle bike with new rider experience and it's not always a great mix. I really would recommend getting a 250 first, but considering the pricing, if you really feel you could handle the extra difficulty that the 650 would offer it would be a good option.

You've just got to think, when you have an "OH ****" moment when a car pulls out or moves into your lane or w/e, do you feel confident you won't grab a handful of throttle? You can wheelie in first gear, and like I said this bike has a ton of power. It can easily keep up with a 600 up to about 60mph. When you **** your pants, your hands do unpredictable things. Physically riding the 650 (other than in the low gears) won't be much more difficult than the 250. It's more about you being unexperienced and making mistakes, the 250 is going to soften those mistakes, the 650 will amplify them
Are the drugs wearing off? That was coherent, well organized, factual (with a good heaping of informed opinion) and correct.

OP, You seem to want a 250. A 250 is a terrific starter bike. Actually, the Ninja 250 is just a terrific bike. I rode about 10,000 miles on mine before I got a deal I couldn't pass up on for an ER-6n (a nude 650r, if you will.)

I rode plenty with my son on the 250, together with gear we put about 350 pounds on the bike. It would do it... but it wasn't great. Short trips? No sweat. But plan ahead when you pull out into traffic.

I have no doubts that spending a good chunk of time on a small displacement bike made me a more capable, safe rider. You learn every skill related to handling, braking, planning, and most of all good judgement riding a little bike. If you do get a 250r, and then later get a 650, then you can learn throttle modulation next... I put the front wheel up one of the first times my son and I rode the 650 2up. The 250 was a lot more forgiving... Oops. No harm done, 10,000 miles on a smaller bike trained me not to panic on two wheels.

If the price is a sticking point, wait it out for a used one. Likely as not, you could resell it in a few years and recoup a good chunk of your money.