View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #38
Mulholland
Garage Monkey

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninjette

Like I said, and like I've told my friends who ride, and know my general racing/automotive background... could I handle the power of a 650? Yeah... I could probably putt around timidly and not murder myself on a busa if I had no car and needed something to get me from A-B and had no choice... Would I choose more bike than I need? No because even though I can, and do restrain myself on the street, as I said with the cars... slower cars are more fun because I can push their limits where as a track prepped car is boring as hell on the street.

I don't want to be bored on a faster/more powerful bike that I know I will want to ride hard... I want to ride my slow bike hard and fast and not have to worry so much about restraining myself. If there is anything I have learned from cars that I'm sure carries straight over... it's easier to do something slowly once you learn the control to do it fast. Like when I teach people to drive stick... I always teach them to do the motions quickly and crisply, and then work on slow and smooth from there. Going fast is often easier than going slow, and with a more powerful bike with grabbier brakes, a snappier throttle tube, etc. If you have never done it faster and been able to learn to do it slow and have the minute control over it, I'm sure it's a bear to learn on something jerky and twitchy that you're making buck and engine brake hard etc.