Thread: Music anyone?
View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #45
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalony View Post
Don't know if you meant earplugs or earbuds.
Actually, I brought up both as well as in-ear buds and combination buds/plugs. Earbuds and in-ear buds are different enough (I can't even fit normal earbuds), though there are some in-ear types meant to block other outside sounds specifically for motorcyclists... saw them for about $200 in the back of a dealer's 2007 catalog.

Quote:
lets not overly mix shooting around town with straight highway riding. Ya know? Sure we end up in mixed situations, but we like to be prepared right? We cyclist generally know if we are going on a long haul or just flying around the corner a few times. I know Im thinking about the ride as I'm gearing up
Yeah, but my crappy helmet deafeningly whistles in my ears even on my 10 minute rides to work (it's why I have a wind skirt too ). If I didn't have it, I'd need earplugs.

Quote:
I agree with an in helmet set that does not press against the ear. Some of the states that allow two ear sets actually go the length to state this in the regulation(ran into it earlier,not looking it up). With that set up I'd ride on populated streets at lower volumes without plugs and use plugs for highways (all this considering a lower db pipe).
My hearing loss was so bad as a child that I wouldn't dare get a louder-than-stock exhaust. I mean, at 28, it's much worse already and I think the last several months of riding have already worsened it. I would have worn ear-plugs if I didn't have my Parrot kit.

Quote:
If I'm on the streets I don't bother too much with plugs. Theres more left and right going on and its really when you need a faster phase difference between each ear more often to determine left and right and be able to deal with it quickly.

On the Highyway I'm all about plugs. I'd like to try a helmet skirt because I don't think I have a prob with road noise. Its the wind that kills me.
On the highway its more hearing Front, and behind all which is determined by the back edge of the ear lobe [Edit:Apparently not all can determine if a sound is coming from front or behind them either!] (height is also determined by the lobe). So while the ear plugs do lower the ears ability to receive ambient sounds sooner the lobes will tell you its behind you. smushed ears dont help here.. ya know
My ears look normal but they are somehow shaped differently... to the point where earbuds do not fit at all. It infuriates me that, say, Apple make proprietary buds for the iPhone and new iPod Shuffle and yet doesn't have an alternative available for me (controls and Mic are on the right bud; I don't think there is a mic on the older $80 in-ear buds that they sell). It's not just me either. My twin brother can't use buds either. Even the companies selling the ear-hooks act like they are just for joggers or the people being active by insinuating that they are "fine" when sitting still (WRONG!). They also raise the in-line remote so you can't properly use it. The in-line adapters that give you the buttons and mic for standard headphones do not have the same noise-reducing mic. I guess I'm just screwed there.

Quote:
A fullface doesnt have a very big impact on dampening sounds. The inside of the helmet doesnt do any reflecting to confuse the ear either. Put your helmet on and snap you fingers all around from front to back I wont tell anyone..lol You'll notice its not really having the serious effects you suggest
I think I'm one of "those people" who can't tell. My hearing has been bad since childhood and I probably didn't develop the same spatial associations as others.

Quote:
Considering new song mixing and mastering techniques, ever increasing build quality, more buds with isolation and built in noise cancelation are becoming avail. all of the above increasing fidelity (yes ,more detailed frequecies at wider bands, increasing the 3d soundstage while helping to further mask more of whats going on outside the music), earbuds and headphones can really confuse the ears while driving any vehicle.
Agreed. What REALLY gets me, even in a car, are the stupid radio commercials playing siren and horn-honking sound effects. They know full well that most listeners are in cars! There should be some FCC mandate or something. At least I always recognize that Pink Floyd song after the first blip.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote