View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #16
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsonr520 View Post
I was really wondering is how dangerous are bikes? Ive been on two wheels all my life and i really hate cars. Everytime i see a motorcycle i want one so i figured id buy one. But what is the dangers behind it. Can riding smart and practicing skills with the right gear keep you alive? Also taking the msf course.
A helmet is the only gear that will keep you alive and, even then, it only improves your odds by 30%. Avoiding an accident is the best option, but if you can't, then try to modify the circumstances to minimize your injuries.

Riding skills are probably the single most important factor in being safe on the bike. You need to not only be able to be a master at controlling the bike, but you also need to be a master at predicting what other people are going to do. Learn to read the clues that cagers give. Some people call it "spidey sense". Others call it "paranoia". Just because someone ought to wait till you pass before they pull out doesn't mean that they will.

I have found that following 3 seconds behind a cage both increases your visibility to people that want to pull out and also makes you invisible to police radar. Works for me. But cagers are really clever at finding new ways to kill you.

The MSF course is well worth it especially for beginners.