View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 1976 CB550 Cafe, 2011 Ninja 250, 1999 Honda CR125

My first "long" ride on the 250

My buddy Mike's birthday was Saturday, so I headed up to Lafayette ( about a 90 mile ride) to hang out and hit up the bars. I made myself a deal that I would take the bike if I passed my riding test even though I could have done it legally with my permit since all my riding was done during the day. Anyway, I left Terre Haute shortly after 1pm. The sky had been overcast all morning, but the sun was finally starting to peek out. Even with the sun out though, it didn't get much higher than low to mid 60s. The temperature wasn't really great for a highway ride, but I wasn't about to let that stop me.

The ride up was mostly rural highways, so it was pleasant with little traffic and varying speed limits passing through several nice little towns. The riding itself wasn't exactly exciting though. Mostly straight roads with a few curves here and there; certainly nothing to write home about. Overall, it wasn't a terrible ride that I wouldn't consider doing again, but the ride home was much better.

On Sunday morning, after a minor hangover recovery breakfast at Denny's with some friends, we headed back to Mike's apartment and I gathered my things and started gearing up for the trip home. While we were discussing my route, Mike said "you should go through Turkey Run, I drive up that way sometimes, and it seems like it would be fun on a bike". I'm glad I recently talked him into getting a bike. He looks out for things like this more often now. ha

Taking 47 over through Turkey Run turned out to be a great idea! It's probably the only route I'll take to Lafayette on my bike from now on. For a while, the ride was just pleasant rural Indiana scenery, but nothing too different. Once I got near Turkey Run State Park, it got a lot more exciting. The scenery turned to mostly forest with campsites, canoe rentals, and small shops here and there. Just past this came some nice twisties. That was my first taste of the Ninja in such a scenario. I was pleasantly surprised by how well the little bike stuck in corners, despite being so lightweight. Beyond the more intense curves, the road mellowed out a bit in some very high ground, allowing you to see for miles.

I am definitely looking forward to more rides like this one. I just wish I had been riding with other people and taken the time to stop and take in the scenery/take some pics.
Goom is offline   Reply With Quote