View Single Post
Old April 25th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #127
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

I'm waiting to see what the new throttle bodies look like. If I like them, I may install it myself. The new price for the EFI kit direct from ecotrons is $600.

There is a simple test to see if something was left out of the carbs by the previous owner.

1. Turn the petcock off.
2. Drain both carb bowls.
3. Choke off. Throttle about half way.
4. Crank engine to see if it runs a little.

If the engine runs for a few seconds but wouldn't before, then the carb is bad. There are other reasons for a bad carb, but this is how you start a bike that has a carb that perpetually floods the engine.

If the plugs are wet with fuel, you have spark, then the carb is passing too much fuel. I;m assuming that you have left the air filter out for testing purposes.

One thing for sure is that the problem IS the carb. A new carb would most likely fix it (get one from a crashed bike - not an abandoned bike or you'll be buying another bad carb.) Not being able to hold the carb in my hands means that I can't say exactly how to fix it. Could be simple. Could be catastrophic.

You mentioned that you looked at the oil when you split the crankcase. Exactly what did you mean by that?

Where do you live? Anywhere near Florida? If you want to sell it and it has ALL its plastic, I might consider it. Do you have pictures?

Otherwise, you might consider parting it out (except for the carb).