View Single Post
Old April 28th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #51
toobem
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): TL1000R

I've been running a 200 on the back for the last 27,000 miles, or so. I've used RK, EK, DID, and no Volar. All were/are O-ring chains. All were used while using the same alignment process, and all but one, the Volar, performed well. The chain moves too much laterally. I initially thought that I might be at fault, but I did nothing different than I had previously.....not a thing different.

I believe the reason you may assume RK produces Volar is because of the latter's purchase of the former's used (and worn) production equipment. Unfortunately, Volar does not use the same, proven production methods and materials as RK......just the same colors.

All the links clearly state "520", except that now they're coated with burnt/melted rubber. It's my opinion, and not only mine, that a foreign, or non-matching, master link is a bad idea and usually results in binding and extra wear either on the master or the links directly in contact with it. I believe any moto mechanic will support that opinion and, furthermore, that it's irresponsible of D2Moto to suggest anything of the like. But at least they responded to you........I'll see what they have to say during the week, if I have to show up in person.

I wish I'd had the luxury of testing multiple chains to find the best quality, but I'll have to go with the opinions of every consumer report on the subject, mostly because I value the continued functionality of my bike and my limbs. Not to be smart, but that's really what's at stake and my recommendation to everyone is to stay away from this brand when purchasing a part that's so crucial to safe operation. It's just not worth the savings.

Again, not my first rodeo......I've used all the aforementioned chains in the same manner, using the same installation method, and the only one that failed (miserably so) was Volar. When they claim 10,280 lbs tensile strength, they're not just suggesting it will be good enough for small bikes......they're marketing to the largest of race/street bikes, and that is definitely a bogus claim. The only logical conclusion is that Volar is an inferior and unsafe chain.
toobem is offline   Reply With Quote