View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #47
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
On a thou it's how experienced or lucky the rider is, 0% experience needs 100% luck one small fcukup on the clutch or throttle and the bike is doing an unhealthy speed for a newbie, grab a fistfull of brake & the bike is down, fcuk up a gearchange & the bike bucks around. - find me one rider who has never made a balls of one of these while learning.

You also forgot the 3 rd group, who wreck & don't get up again.

start on 650 sports or smaller for a while to pick up a bit of skill, then move up.
i assume most of you who are against this probably have never rode a SS yet. i personally don't believe that a complete noob should start on a SS, and I don't go around telling ppl they should start on a SS. i just don't agree with ppl acting like the sky's falling whenever this topic comes up. darwin's law will take care of them if they are ill prepared. yes we are on a 250 forum, and most everyone here thinks everyone should start on a 250. but just saying it's not impossible to start on a SS.

i actually learned how to ride on a buddies R6, but decided for myself that i'd be a better rider and it'd be cheaper financially to get a used 250R then upgrade. i don't feel the need to upgrade ATM, but i have ridden on a R6, CBR600, and GSXR 600 on more than one occasion. and i feel right at home on those machines. after riding a SS I can see that it's not entirely impossible for some one to learn on. yes, you have to be more careful with the throttle and the brakes, but it's not extremely difficult. if you can practice being smooth, you'll be fine. also the technology in bikes these days makes SS a slightly more friendly - power mode selector, traction control, etc. in the end it still comes down to the ability of the rider more so than what kind of bike he's on.
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote