View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #18
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Reading the posts about the maximum braking being an impending stoppie got me thinking...

What exactly happens when braking with the front extremely hard? In particular to the center of gravity? The front forks will compress which should lower the CG, the rider likely will shift somewhat forward which moves the CG closer to the front wheel fulcrum, your gas and fluids more than likely have a negligible effect but for argument sake I'll include them too which further pushes the CG forward, and the tail end comes up which moves the CG upward.

Thinking about this, it almost seems like you may be worse off if you're right on the verge of a stoppie at 99% braking force (relative to the rear wheel lifting off the ground, NOT relative to what the brakes are capable of) your overall CG angle to the fulcrum might be higher than if you were at 98% or 97% braking force to a stoppie which would mean your stopping distance would actually increase slightly.

Anyone else follow my logic? It would really depend a lot on the particulars of the situation and motorcycle since I have no doubt that there are plenty of motorcycles out there that 99% force in the front is the way to go, but for a bike and situation making a stoppie possible, I feel that being 99% on the verge of stoppie would hurt stopping distance.