Old May 18th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #30
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
You need another poll:

How many people actually practice braking hard enough to cause an impending stoppie? And practice it enough to do it reliably? By instinct?

All the ones that answer "no" will probably crash when they use only their front brake in an emergency situation..
I practice it every time I leave the driveway. Pull off on a nearby side road and crank off a good one with no traffic. It's fun and I'd like my first instinct to be the right instinct.

My e-braking is 'other'.

I was taught to use all fours, clutch, downshift, front and rear brake. All at the same time, all as a progressive action, not a jam-on like a switch.
Seems to work for me, never lock and never slide. The bike tends to squat when I pull it off pefectly, no stoppie feeling at all. My body wants to fly forward but the bike seems to hunch down on the road in a real hurry!

I have yet to try it at 100kph, still easing up to trying it at freeway speed. Maybe will save that for the track. Fastest e-brake was at about 80KPH??

The instructors told us that if you have to 'lay it down', you're going too fast for the conditions - if the road conditions are perfect then the 'condition' is speed. If the people racing stock ninjas can do it in a very, very short distance, then it follows that we all have the ability to brake like that, we just need to practice until it's part of our riding. May save our arses some day.

Ride safe
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote