View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:11 PM   #16
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
helicoil... great and all for fixing the damaged threads... but why were they damaged? why is the piston slamming into the plug in the first place? bandaiding the effects of the problem does nothing to fix the problem.

my vote is on a $300 engine swap. any issues with the new engine can be resolved using stuff from the old engine.

dave made a good point about compression being enough to blow out the plug from bad threads, but that ignores the fact that the plug was obviously contacted (impailed electrode tip) those dont bend from compression. they bend because the piston hits them. the piston would only hit them if the piston is floating around in the cylinder (broken connecting rod), or the piston has something on the top of it, adding to the height, and thats what hit the plug, or the plug itself is too long or incorrect.

so i think either, incorrect plug, broken connecting rod, shattered cylinder internals, broken valve thats floating in the cylinder, or maybe just some random crap in the cylinder

regardless, i think you wont know for sure what the issue is until you open the cylinders up