Old June 11th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #13
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
you guys are overwhelming him with advanced technique without really asking any basic questions.

start simple.
Agreed. I rode for nearly a year before learning how to blip the throttle when downshifting. Couldn't have said it better than Alex. Start simple....a phrase that should be part of my signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkh100 View Post

1. do i need to downshift If I am slowing down but not coming to a stop? When I do do this, it is never smooth and the engine screams sometimes.

2. is it normal that I have a hard time riding with my rpms lower than 7-8k?

3. can i slow down without downshifting and than speed up in the same gear?

I also feel like it isnt smooth when I ride at 25mph or anything less than 30-35. I feel like the engine is being dragged.

any other advice you guys have would be great.

I remember when I started out, I hated to hear the engine scream. We're taught on manual tranny cars where redlining is typically a bad thing. Throw that thought out the window because our Ninjas are happy to be way up in the RPMs, but the sweetest spot is around 10k. Our bikes can ride anywhere in the rpm range, but below 5k, it will be very slow to accelerate. Though you do not have to downshift if you are simply slowing down and not stopping (and yes, you can slow down and speed up in one gear, to answer your question), I typically downshift around 5k because much lower than that and it takes too long to get back up to speed. I used to always fear not downshifting in time and having the bike choke on me and stop abruptly. However, you can actually keep the bike in gear as you are slowing down until it gets to like 1k (crawling), and it won't choke down on you. Hell, our bikes will actually keep puttering along with no input whatsoever if you are very slow with the clutch release. That is how I learned to U-turn. Starting from a stopped position, try a paintfullyslow release of the clutch and the bike will putter along on its own with no gas (as long as you're not going uphill). Play with this in a parking lot a bit. Experiment with the friction zone on your bike. If you are stopped and you ever-so-slowly release the clutch, when it gets to the friction zone, you'll feel the bike start to very slowly move a little, even without giving throttle. Continue your slow clutch release and ride the puttering bike around a bit.
Which gear are you in when you ride 25-30mph and not feeling smooth? Second gear is good for those speeds.
Hope this morning ramble answered some of your questions. I had very little experience with a manual tranny prior to learning how to ride my Ninja, and shifting was the most difficult part for me to really grasp, so let me know if you have other questions. There's no such thing as a stupid one (though if there is, trust me, I have asked it! )

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote