Old June 28th, 2012, 03:42 AM   #22
siwoz
ninjette.org member

Name: Simon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja EX250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by newninja123 View Post
Thanks for the links mate!

The diode install brings up so many more questions! It makes it more complex than I originally thought!

I understand the install... seems straight forward, and easy to do, but what is the point of adding those extra couple of wires to the diode that is the actually indicator light aswell? How does that affect the way the indicators now work?????

Also what is the flasher relay used for? Why is that necessary for the lights to work, and how can I install that (DIY or Tutorials if you have)??

As you can see I don't have a clue when it comes to this haha...

I really appreciate your help on all of this mate! Kudos to you!
From what I understand, there's a wire from each side of the turn signals going to the bulb on the dash. What you do is add a diode on each of them so that there can't be a backflow of energy to either side. You then add a ground wire in so that the excess energy has a place to ground.

If you don't do the diode mod you end up with both sides flashing at the same time as the reduced load from the LEDs leaves over energy which flows to the other side.

The flasher relay is to replace the stock one in the bike which is a mechanical load relay. To be brief, the speed it flashes is dependant on the electrical load, which with LEDs installed is much less than incandescent bulbs. Installation of the relay is really easy with the one I linked you to as it even has the hole for mounting on the same hook as the stock one. Connecting it is just as easy as all you need to do is disconnect the plug and connect it to the new one.
On the new relay there's a third pin which I assume is ground so I connected that to the frame just in case.

Hope this helps !
siwoz is offline   Reply With Quote