View Single Post
Old July 8th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #19
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
+1

Keep looking. You still have a bike now, so it's not a huge deal. Trust me, it's worth the wait.

I bought my 05 SV650N for less than 3k with less than 8000 miles. The previous owner mainly did track days on it, so it had all the goodies (rearsets, clipons, shock, springs) and the main issue is a couple huge dents in the tank from some lowsides and a high side. So far it's been great.

Keep an eye out on SVRider.com, as a lot of people put their bikes up there and offer a slight discount over Craigslist locals.

As for the bike itself, I currently run the SV solely on the track, but I rode it for a while around the street.. Let me tell you, the body position and geometry is uncomfortable as hell with clip-ons. Risers are a must for stock geometry. On top of that, I personally found no fairing to be unpleasant after 10,000 miles of the fully faired Ninjette. Highway control, though, is great. Smooth power (takes getting used to from the 250), and more than enough power to have some fun! It's great in the twisties, it's great as DD. Fuel injection is very nice alternative to carburetors (though I've yet to test it in the cold).

My suggestion:
If you get a SV650N, get a windscreen. It get's tiring on the highway battling with the wind for two hours, though I'm not the strongest and the position with clip-ons did not help.

If you get an SV650S, the position is not as bad as with regular clipons as they have -some- rise to them. If you find them uncomfortable, you can spend a little to get some Converti-bars/heli bars (high-rise clip-ons) that will drastically improve the position for sport touring and commuting -- more Ninjette like, if you will.

As for fuel economy, I managed to get 45-50MPG with aggressive (+10PSL) riding on the street, I have no idea what I get on the track, but nowhere near that.

The other nice bit about the SV is it's still easy on the tires. Torque is very manageable, and it's easy to get comfortable with. You get going pretty quick in comparison to the 250.

It's a little heavier, but not that much heavier. I don't think it is that much more stable than the 250, but I didn't think the 250 was that unstable and I dropped the front end a bit too.

EDIT:

Here is the SVRider Bikes For Sale section:
http://www.svrider.com/forum/forumdi...=33&order=desc

Someone JUST sold a bike in GA for ~2900. ~11k on the odometer. Lurk often, keep an eye out. Be willing to travel some, as it expands the chance of finding a good deal.

The only thing I'd avoid is a 2003 SV. Nothing particularly wrong with it, but it is ever so slightly different than the following years in many ways, so it's not exactly compatible as far as parts are concerned. 2007+ has 2 spark plugs per cylinder and an oxygen sensor, and that's really the only difference within that generation. 2005+ have black frames (changed from silver). You can also look for a Gladius.
Yup, I hear ya...good points there. So stick with 2004+. Although I'm still stuck with what version to look for, but in reality I would be happy with any of them.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote