View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Question about throttle on larger bikes

My 650's throttle is far more responsive than my 250 ever was but I'm also having an issue with it and I want to know if it's specific to the 650 or all larger fuel injected bikes. My 650 engine brakes like a mother ****er, when you release the throttle it's like you also stomped down on the rear brake. Compared to the newgen 250 it's an extremely significant and noticeable change. My pregen 250 also tended to engine brake rather hard but not as much as the 650. So first question.

1. Do larger CC bikes engine brake significantly more (not just a little more, alot more) compared to the 250? Or does it perhaps have to do with the cylinder size, i.e. 2x325cc vs 4x150-250cc?

Another issue I've noticed is that the 650s throttle is not that smooth. In lower rpm's it has three settings, decelerate, accelerate, and accelerate faster. Coasting is nearly non existent and the difference between accelerating and decelerating is so negligible that a small bump in the road can launch my balls into the gas tank. At higher rpms there is decelerate, coast and accelerate but there is still an issue. Any throttle less than coasting is full on engine braking, there is no slowing down while applying any throttle.

Because of these issues I feel like the 650 just isn't as suited for the twisties as my 250 was. I never intended for my 650 to replace my 250 in that aspect but it just kinda happened. So the question.

2. Do larger CC fuel injected bikes throttle's simply react that way in not feeling so smooth between off, coast, accelerate or does the 650 just have an anti-twisty throttle?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote