View Single Post
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #13
nakedhunter
ninjette.org member

Name: Naked

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (RED)

I volunteer as First Aid for the local children horse riding program, Westernaires, it's been around for over 60 years and has had thousands and thousands of kids, 9-19 generally, come through it - with one fatality about 20 years ago. Those kids can ride very hard and fast as they advance...
I ride home from there every weekend and have a better chance of seeing the leftovers of a fellow motorcyclist in a serious accident then seeing any of those kids in an ambulance or any injury. But that's why I know they can frame numbers to come out for whatever purpose is desired. And I have no idea what was behind the original crunching of statistics from where those numbers come from but I definitely would rather have my 12 year old on a horse rather than on the road riding a motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Chronicles View Post
You might want to teach your kids to ride bikes instead of horses.

Maybe it would be safer if Prince Charming rolled in on a Motocross instead. An estimated 30 million Americans ride horses annually, and more than 23 000 riders under the age of 25 have been hospitalized per year as a result.

Most injuries result from falls, and can have severe and often fatal consequences. This rate of injury is higher than that of motorcycling. On average, motorcyclists suffer once every 7000 hours of riding, whereas horseback riders have an accident about once every 350 hours.
nakedhunter is offline   Reply With Quote