View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2012, 08:17 AM   #1
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

Name: Franco

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2006 Ninja 636

250 vs 636 from a newbie's perspective

I bought a 2006 ZX-6R and I love it! I've had it for two weeks now, and i've started to form some opinions.

first off, changes I like:
-I love the brakes on the 636, they seem much more firm. I trust them a lot--more than I trusted the ninjette's (although that may have something to do with the fact that I dumped the baby ninja while i was still learning how to ride on the street )
-Wider tires are more than just aesthetically pleasing: the 636 is more stable in a turn--where the ninjette feels squirrely, the 636 tracks like it's on rails. This is one of those things bike journalists and reviewers say all the time, but I didn't really understand until I was able to ride both bikes) As a note, I think it's got something to do with better suspension too, but the ride, in my opinion, is smoother.
-Fuel injection.
-the power. I expect to get some flame for this one, but I truly appreciate the power. It's nice to not be completely tapped out of power on the highway. What I was surprised to find is how tame an inline 4 can be in the lower revs--you can ride a 600 the same speed as the 250 at a fraction of the revs and gears, and the power doesn't really get scary until you start working your way up the rev range (it's worth a mention that a PO had a power commander installed and has the power output set to low). it's really nice to ride around town without as many shifts from light to light, makes for a more pleasant commute.
-temp gauge
-clock
-clip ons: this is a personal preference thing, but I took the ninjette out for a quick spin last night and my wrists started hurting--now that I've gotten used to the 636 bars, the 250's bars seem high and at an odd angle. I think it's cause i used to ride a bicycle with drops, so I'm comfy with the more forward posture

Things the ninjette does better:

-The ninjette flicks WAY more easily. the lighter weight, and thinner tires make it insane in corners. It's something I've read over and over again while lurking on these boards, but it's nice to finally understand what everyone's talking about.
-my fuel economy and distance per tank now SUCKS compared to the ninjette and now I have to buy premium gas. ugh.
-I can wind the 636 out a bit, but I can't make it scream like the 250 did around town (and stay within legal speed limits), so in a sense, some of that troublemaker fun has been lost.
-The heat--I thought I knew what heat was when the ninjette put some out onto my ankle from the area P headers. I was wrong. The 636 puts out heat EVERYWHERE. it's a curse and blessing--I don't really stop riding when the weather turns wet or cold, so here's to hoping my legs will be toasty when hot cocoa and gingerbread cookies come back. Until then, it sucks when it's warm out. (not so bad once you're out riding, but from light to light, it can be torturous)
-it's much easier to back the ninjette out of places. the 636 isn't MUCH harder, but I felt the difference.

The 250 is a TON of fun, and I'm super glad to have ridden it first. Being able to ride the 250 first is what allows me to have fun on the 636. I'm more confident in my abilities on two wheels, and I'm less afraid of possible bad outcomes because I've had a taste of them on a more manageable bike. Maybe that makes me a terrible rider, and maybe I have no natural talent, but that hasn't stopped me from learning to ride better and enjoying it in the process. Many people say the 250 is the quintessential learning tool, and it's the truth. When I'm ready to do trackdays, I'll be in the market for another 250. It's almost a must--the ninjette by virtue of not having raw HP to make you seem fast forces you to BE fast in all the ways that actually matter--technique, body positioning, gear position/staying within the power band. I'd track out my 250 right now if I had the cash (and a trailer to take it to the track) but that's just not in the cards for me at the moment. Til then, I'll be learning some things about my 636. I can't afford to keep both bikes, so if anyone needs a ninjette on the cheap in the NoVA area, PM me.
don't hate me!

2012-07-13 23.19.53.jpg 2012-07-13 23.16.08.jpg 2012-06-15 01.08.37.jpg IMG017.jpg