View Single Post
Old July 28th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #40
MustangGuy
ninjette.org member

Name: Roy

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 650

I agree with most of what I've read here about the 650. I think it really depends on what you want from a bike. I don't think the 650 was intended to be a junior version of a supersport. It's really a "sporty standard". It's a great commuter bike - plenty of power, great gas mileage and a comfortable riding position. I use mine mainly as every day transportation. I did take it up on mountain roads a few weeks ago - my first time riding like that. I don't have the personal experience to compare the 650 to a supersport on twisties but I think an "edgier", more aggressive-stanced bike would be very different. That's beyond my limits though. I was just happy seeing what the bike could do and leaning like I've never done before (well, I didn't have a choice about that if I wanted to make it through the turns - LOL!) I'm not thrilled about the LOOK of the handle bars. I know they can be swapped out, but I don't want to lose the upright ergonomics of the bike. I also have a Buell Firebolt. The riding position on that is very aggressive and the souped-up Harley twin gives a whole new meaning to "vibration"! Maybe that's why the 650 seems so refined when I ride it after the Buell. I'm glad the 650 doesn't have an a aggressive riding position. I wouldn't be able to tolerate that every day. I did an hour ride on the freeway with the Buell and when I got home my ears were ringing, my wrists and hands were tingling and my neck hurt for three days. I don't have those issues with the 650. I've learned to ride the Buell so that I don't end up suffering from it, but I don't plan on any long trips on it. I've got a few more years on me than some of y'all on here, so that makes a difference too.

As far as the suspension on the 650, yeah it's a little stiff. We have some great long smooth roads here as well as some really crappy and bumpy one. I have the front and back set in the middle range of adjustment. It works for me. Jiggles is 110% right about the throttle too. It can be a little difficult to modulate smoothly between closed and slightly open. I thought it was just me getting used to the bike, but no. I think it could use a little more resistance.

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in with my $ 0.02 since I'm a 650 owner. It's better to know what a bike is like before you plunk down that hard-earned cash. We ride for the enjoyment, so ride a bike you will enjoy.
MustangGuy is offline   Reply With Quote