View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #123
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavid2002 View Post
I dunno. I never knew you retired helmets. Just like im sure I know allot more about the shooting sports than you do. You know allot more about cycling than I do. Thats why im here askin you guys.

So the ultimate reason why I should throw this thing out is because the glue has aged and become useless?
i have a closet full of helmets that i could probably still use, but don't because i'm unsure. some just have a few little skid marks, some have solid impacts that resulted in a concussion, and others even got worn long enough to wear out the liner.

either way, it wasn't worth the risk and i retired it. thats why i shop around and i buy the helmet i can find the best deal on that is still of good quality... like the HJC AC-12... its a track/race worthy helmet, but i can find it in various solid colors (and even in kawasaki trim) for about $100.

in my opinion, theres no need to spend 4-600 bucks on a helmet. if you're on the street, and you want a cool helmet you can pick up a cool shoei or something on closeout for 2-300, or you can buy the ugly one thats the exact same model for 1-200. i buy the ugly, high quality helmet cuase i know i'm going to trash it sooner than later.

the bottom line is that your helmet is too old. it's impossible to know how much its deteriorated, but a 10 year old helmet can't be the safest option. i'd recommend you get a new lid as soon as you can gather up 1-200 bucks. AC-12 is my suggestion for the best value.