View Single Post
Old August 6th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #110
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
I don't really think EFI is needed for a bike like this.
I must disagree with you here. I commuted on my 250 almost every day when I had it: hot or cold, rain or shine, it made no difference to me. The ONLY thing I hated about the '09 I had was the choice to use carburetion in the U.S. market as opposed to EFI. Dealing with having to let the bike up for as long as ten minutes before it was rideable was a pain in the ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
In order to upstage the new ninja, honda will have to either upgrade to 2cyl 250cc motor or make a 350-400 cc beginner bike.
There are plenty of dirtbikes that break 50 hp using a 250cc four stroke. Moto 3 uses single cylinder 250 engines that make plenty of horsepower to easily embarass the 250 twin in the Ninjette. It wouldn't take much for Honda to tweak the single a bit to have comparable power to the twin while still maintaining a torque advantage down low and still remaining reliable. Remember, they only need to get to 33 HP, which is the maximum limit in a large number of countries that have graduated licensing. They can easily crank that out of a single.

Honda didn't spend money on R&D to make a world bike that had to be redesigned as soon as the competition came out with something to challenge them. That CBR isn't all out of tricks already.

The fact that Kawasaki has already redesigned the Ninjette after a very long period of barely changed minor revisions shows that they are aware that Honda does have a presence in the segment, regardless of what sales numbers show, especially when those sales numbers are just U.S. sales.