View Single Post
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #7
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

What gen? Though it doesn't really matter. Two ways most common. First, take the broken key pieces to a locksmith and they can cut you a new one. It will cost a bit more than a plain duplicate because the locksmith will have to some measurements on the old key to work out the new cut. That will probably be the cheapest and quickest way.

Second way is to get a "code" key cut. A code key is made by looking up the VIN in a special book and getting the cut code, or alternatively by looking up the code stamped on several of the locks on the bike. These locks are generally installed such that the code isn't visible without taking parts off the bike, and generally speaking it will require a working key to get the lock off the bike to get the lock code.

Kawasaki sold the latter code books (that use the code on the lock) to both dealers and independent locksmiths, not all bought them or bought all years of them, so you'll have to call around to find someone who has one for your year. They're different for each year, obviously.

A third, probably costliest, option is to get the bike to a locksmith who can pick one of the locks (tank is easiest but doesn't have all the wafers) or seat lock, disassemble the lock, then make a key to fit it. First choice is the first option, assuming you didn't just throw the pieces away.

If it's a pregen the codes are stamped on the ignition, seat, and IIRC helmet lock, in the form of Z5XXX, where the X's are numbers 000-999. Yes, only 1,000 possible combinations, not all of which will be used for various reasons having to do with the way a key is cut. As an example, I got the seat lock off of one of my bikes and took the Z-code to my favorite local locksmith, he looked it up in the book he'd bought for my year and cut me a perfect key.

In actuality, if you're halfway mechanical you could cut your own key.

Info on key blanks your locksmith will find helpful (if it's a pregen, that is) http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/EX250F_key_blanks

The key dimension info, again assuming it's a pregen: http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...=841726#841726

Edit to add, just looked at your profile, it appears you have a newgen, d'oh! However, the basic concepts still apply. I haven't gotten ahold of a newgen lockset yet to do an article on.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote