View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #1
SabreValkyrn
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Motus MSTR (Kara), 1990 Ninja 600R (ZX600C3) (Scrappy)

Unhappy 03 Ninja 250 Engine problems

I've browsed most of the major Ninjette/Ninja 250 forums for knowledge before and for maintenance mods for the past 9 months, first time poster.

I am at least the third owner of a yellow 2003 Ninja 250. It has some fairing damage and 23000 miles. I've done 4500 miles of in town or freeway miles. I did a 500 mile trip and... apparently the bike was eating oil and I didn't notice. TL;DR, 70 miles from home 5 lanes over from an uphill off ramp, my engine died.

Mechanic says the seals around the pistons are very unhappy, but he hasn't taken it fully apart. We had compression earlier, but it sat inside for about a week before he could look at it. Now it has around 40 (insert applicable units) compression when he drops oil down the piston, but nothing when it is dry. The mechanic bill is $100 so far.

One mechanic said I could part it out for $1000-$1300, the one I trust more said it needed pistons and rings. From what I could find, it looks to be a day of labor and <$200 to fix.

60-91.2MPG at 4500 miles has broken me even with maintenance/accessories (seat cover, double bubble windshield, and tank cover). I live in the greater Seattle area. I would prefer to get a Ninja 250 with lowish miles on it, the new-gens look pretty sexy and seems to be a bit better for passengers. I primarily use the bike for school<->work<->Seattle/Bellingham (80 miles).

Would people suggest I buy a used part and crack it open myself and try to fix it, learning a lot while doing it... but pain in all the things, have a mechanic fix it with a used part, or sell/part it and get a new(er) Ninja 250? Working, school full time, and busing 16 hours a week SUCKS. I cut my 2h 20m bus trip into 25m on a bike.

Any help is appreciated,

Joel
SabreValkyrn is offline   Reply With Quote