View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #12
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krolinked View Post
Crashed three times and am pretty skilled in basic handling of it in my opinion.
I'm somewhat concerned by this. Not so much the fact that you crashed, though that is alarming because it happened three times in a year and a half. I am really just confused by the fact that you put "crashed" and "am pretty skilled in basic handling" in the same sentence.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but seriously, a 600 (of which I have owned two and put on about 10K miles between them) is not a joke. Sure, keep it below 8K and it's a pretty docile steed. As soon as 8K hits and you pin the throttle, the demon within comes out. Easily tameable truthfully, so long as you know what you are doing. Hell, I was in a parking lot today and the throttle slipped on me and I accidentally revved the bike up to around 10K in frist gear. I had the clutch in and it was a non-issue, but **** happens.

Just be honest with yourself about this. I get wanting the 600 or liter bike. My 600 (assuming I keep it - I get the trade in bug bad on a regular basis) will become my track bike as soon as I graduate and can afford to do so. I will then ride an R1 on the street and make it something of a sport tourer. So I get the desire to own the bikes. Just don't try to make a jump you might not be ready for simply because of miles and time.

Watch Twist of the Wrist 2. Watch it again. Practice the techniques every single time you ride from here on out. Then think about the 600 or 1000.

My