View Single Post
Old September 17th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #862
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Since this group buy has been over and done with for over a year, I don't think its all that bad to post here.

LED's still use power. Not as much, but its there. If you are on the line, then you need to pay attention to every milliamp. Using LED tail lights might give you a little extra too.

Your alternator output is affected by idle RPM. You didn't say how slow you were idling, but here are the alternator outputs at various RPMs:

1000 -> 6A
1200 -> 8A
1400 -> 10A
1600 -> 11A
6000 -> 15A
10000-> 17A

These are for the pregen.

Usage:
Stock headlight: 5A / 3A (HID).
Tail Light: 2.6 A (1157) / 2.8A (2357)
Spark Plug coils: 0.50A
Cooling Fan: 4A
Ecotrons ECU: 3.5A (assumed that this includes fuel pump)

Total: 15.6A (stock) / 13.6A (HID)
wo/fan: 11.6A (stock) / 9.6A (HID)

So basically, when you are in traffic, you are still going to be running a deficit on power. This is the most likely time your fan will come on and you will hit the brakes. Using HIDs helps a lot, but not enough. Using a bigger battery will help mask the symptoms, but is not a fix. Using LED tail lights might be enough to pull the pregen into the positive.

I suspect the newgen has a bigger alternator which may be why we don't see them with similar problems. However, the part number for the OEM EFI newgen alternator is different from the US model. Only way to know for sure is to hook up an ammeter.