View Single Post
Old September 29th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #175
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

Fail? How. I'll bet Kawi sells every one that they import to the US. That would be a success.

Now, someone mentioned the beloved ER-6N earlier. I have one, I love it, it's better than all of your bikes (unless you have a Z1000 or a Ducati Monster.) This is undisputed, factual, absolute truth. However, the ER-6N was a failure in the US market. How do I know this? I bought my 2009 ER brand spanking new in 2011... for less than the price of a Ninja 300. When they have a bike leftover for 2 years and need to unload them cheap... failure.

All that said, if I were bike shopping with the same criteria I had back in 2008 (When I bought my 250r) I would go buy a CBR. It's cheaper (criteria 1), better on gas (criteria 2) and comfortable and capable enough to ride (criteria 3). When I bought the 250R for $3,600 there was nothing to compare to it. The Rebel and Nighthawk were crap, the only real small displacement bike worth owning was a Ninja 250, in my opinion. And at that price, and driving a car that got 16-17 MPG on 93 octane, it cost less to pay for the bike than put gas in the car.

The CBR certainly hasn't tossed the Ninjette off the top of the hill, but it certainly smacked Kawi around a bit. If Kawi had released a FI 250 here for the same price as the carbed one, it would have been a slam dunk. They left the small displacement door wide open for a long time, and Honda certainly stepped in hard.