View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:48 PM   #37
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
The 250 is lighter so it will be much easier to handle. But the 1000 is better suited for the twisties and handles better than the 650. The 650 is 85lbs heavier than the 250 and the 1000 is 50lns heavier than the 650. Some of the advantages the 1000 has over the 650 are an adjustable suspension, slipper clutch, and inverted forks. I'm sure there is more but I can't think of them right now.

It depends on how you want to ride, the 650 isn't going to cut it for aggressive riding in the twisties (it didn't seem good enough to me which is why I picked up another 250) I wasn't planning on takin the 1000 in the twisties much but it has turned out to be a fantastic twisty bike. So again, it depends on what you want to do with the bike.

And the 650 is faster than every other car on the road, it's hard to get bored of that kinda power
Tampa (and the rest of Central FL) is well known for its complete absence of "twisties."

My 650 (an ER-6N) is fine on the highway, much easier to ride in the situations you describe regarding wind resistance and passing power compared to my previous 250r. Obviously, being a naked bike, the wind is considerably more noticeable at speed, I expect the 650R to be a bit better that way.

Exhaust noise: Get a nice slip on, they have a nice popping idle and an aggressive tone that is considerably different from any I4. Like a Harley on 'roids. That said... still sounds like an industrial machine. Welcome to twins!

Twitchy throttle: Yup. A Power Commander and a good map went a long way towards improving the throttle response and feel. However, the 650s really engine brake hard, and aggressive downshifting will easily unsettle the rear of the bike. Even chopping the throttle at higher RPMs can be a bit harsh. Use the clutch accordingly.

Wheelies on a 650r: Sure you can. Goose it hard in first, or drop the clutch. Unintentional wheelies? Not too common. I've done it twice without meaning to, both times going full throttle in first gear. Oops. Bad habit formed on the Ninjette... The 650 isn't exactly an untamed beast.