View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #23
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

PAGING @CThunder-blue!

Hello, Tri. You seem to be the guy to ask about this.

First of all, the Tridon EP34 energizes the extra prong when the lights blink off, correct? So the power alternates between blinkers and the third prong (ground) rather than simply switching on and off to the blinkers? If so, then I want to use the constant power going to it while the blinkers are active as a trigger for another relay. This other relay will turn off my brake and tail lights while the turn signal are active. Don't worry, I intend to have auxiliary brake and tail lights. This is purely to increase contrast with the cheap integrated one I already have. Now, I obviously can't use the CF12ANL-01 flasher relay to trigger the second relay because the power must be flowing intermittently through both sides while the signals are active.

I still have a lot of questions you might be able to help me out with. I think I've figured out how to wire in auxiliary brake and running lights and have the original ones shut off while the blinkers are active. If I wire a series of brake lights and a series of running lights I can then use a relay with a couple diodes to create a switched common ground after the first bulb in each series.

Will this work? I'm worried that the power will not take the newly opened path to ground that the relay opens up and will still light up the second light in each series. There will be a voltage drop from the diodes.

About the diagram:
LTS = Left Turn Signals
RTS = Right Turn Signals
DI = Dash Indicator
R = Running Light
AR = Auxiliary Running Light
B = Brake Light
AB = Auxiliary Brake Light

The switch at the top represents both brake light switches.
The replacement three-prong Tridon EP34 flasher relay is the one on the bottom.
The split power I show going into it would actually be internal to it (shared/common terminal). That's how I imagine it works if the supply is constant and diverts to ground when the lights blink off yet stops when the selection is canceled.
This will be the trigger for the second relay (top one), which opens up a ground after the first set of lights in the series.
The diodes keep each series of bulbs from feeding power through each other so that the brake light doesn't light with the running light and such.
I only diagrammed the turn signals and dash indicator so that it was obvious what that two-way normal-open switch did.

So, the top relay is triggered when the turn signals are flashing and makes a new ground for AB and AR before B and R. It's still connected to B and R, but my understanding is that electricity takes the shortest path of least resistance. That said, the voltage drop across the diodes may mean it isn't the path of least resistance. Will it work? If not, how would you recommend I do this? THREE relays?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote