View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2012, 12:43 AM   #18
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

First potential lead for this problem:

I've done the two valve inspections myself so far on the bike, both times I used the video DIY here on ninjette which now no longer exists. If I recall correctly, the proper procedure was for both of the lobes on the cams to point away from each other when at 2|T for both cylinders, correct?

So this meant one rotation around, at 2|T the cylinder 1 lobes would be in inspection position, and the next rotation around at 2|T the cylinder 2 lobes would be in inspection position, right?

It's been a little bit, but I don't remember using 1|T. Now it appears that things are exactly the opposite. The only way to get opposing lobes in the bike is at 1|T. It seems extremely coincidental that things somehow got shifted around exactly 180 degrees but I'd imagine it's a problem.

How this happened I have no idea, a loose cam chain perhaps? Even if that's the case, it seems highly unlikely that the chain would catch again at exactly 180 degrees around. Remember that I rode the bike for a couple thousand miles since the last inspection without a problem.

Thoughts?