Old October 21st, 2012, 08:00 PM   #40
kbryant
Area P

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
More questions for you Kerry,

Will you be making maps for with/without the snorkel?

Right now, do you think it will be possible to ditch the airbox and switch to a pod filter? Or would the bike get better performance from an airbox?

Also, what does the cross tube on the oem system accomplish? I know the 88-07 bikes had one, but my aftermarket Muzzy system (and your discontinued 88-07 full system as well) does not have this cross tube.

I don't even have a 300, but I think your R&D process is cool and I want to learn as much as I can about the new bike.
We'll be doing maps with and without the Snorkel, along with an array of other combinations.

With FI, I believe it will work best with the oem airbox, snorkel removed, and/or modified oem airbox (such as an aftermarket filter, removal of the backfire screen, etc.). But you really cannot be completely sure until actually testing it with Pod style filters as well. Unless we've actually tested it, and we know for certain what it does or doesn't do, we don't rule it out.

Well there's alot of black magic to the cross-over theory. Some good, some bad. In many cases, that crossover tube you see, may not even have actual openings on some models. It may also have openings much smaller than the actual cross-over tube diameter that we call "bleeders". The primary benefits we see to them is attenuation of sound. When you have a given goal of getting the best performance within a certain sound and emission level restriction (like the OEMs), going with a cross-over tube at a certain point in the headpipe design can make the difference between passing certification or not. That being said, it doesn't mean you can't get cross-overs to be beneficial in other areas of hp/tq as well. We've designed systems over the years with cross-overs and had excellent results in all areas. We utilize them alot when we design racecar exhaust systems for both torque and sound benefits. It really just depends on what you are trying to accomplish and how. At the end of the day, we look at all ideas and then sort them out on the dyno, sound meter, and actual riding conditions. That pretty much puts all the theory ideas to rest.
kbryant is offline   Reply With Quote