Old October 22nd, 2012, 12:52 PM   #25
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by T304L View Post
I am not sure yet whether bla bla bla bla. The riding experience is a great feeling, bla bla bla bla
That's what's important

In all seriousness though, I guess you just have to weigh up whether the risk outweighs the reward. For me: the reward is greater than the risk. Also: the whole reason I finally decided to get a motorcycle was because I realized just how much control a good street rider has over the risk than a mindless bad rider does... it's a huge difference. There is a lot of experienced and rational riders on this forum than can help you become the good, low risk rider. I think you're of the mindset to be mature about riding... you've bought a 2fiddy instead of a 600 supersport for starters!

I think there are some people out there who should stay well away from bikes because of their clumsiness or their immaturity. Everyone else should learn how to ride well and enjoy motorcycles!

I'll give you a head start on finding good advice here. Look for the posts from: @gfloyd2002 (my favourite source of info!) @ally99 & @Alex. There are plenty of others here that have good advice too.

My advice (though you are free to ignore it as I'm still a nooblet!) is:
* get yourself another ninjette as soon as possible and start riding it before the fear and doubt sets in any further. If you can afford it, the new ninjette has some fancy safety features that will help new riders. It has [optional] ABS brakes and a slipper clutch to save you from loosing the back end if you perform a dodgy down shift.
* Learn more about bike control (how to corner and how to brake!).
* Practice what you learn.
* When you're on the bike always give 100% of your concentration to riding. Don't think about anything else. Fantastic meditation!
* Learn about safe riding techniques on the road. There's so much to learn here. Most of it is to do with simulating in your mind bad things that could happen and then using that prediction to adjust your speed and lane position.

That's my thoughts
akima is offline   Reply With Quote