Old October 23rd, 2012, 02:07 PM   #21
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
good answers but lets boil them down a bit.

front brake while turning, sudden weight transfers, going over abnormally slippy patches, too much lean, no grip on the tires... lets say they all fall into the category "too much sideways force for the amount of 'grip' your tires are able to hold"...
what does that mean? too much force for the amount of grip... we've all seen the other threads getting into technical definitions of surface normal pressure and trying to go through the math of it but lets ignore that side... less throttle(or more brake) means more force on the front tire. speeding up means more force on the rear tire and less on the front. both fully over or underloaded front and rear tires will send you sliding away but there are small differences... if your front tire is sliding, what controls do you have on the bike? gas and brake right? moving the bars isn't going to do anything beneficial if the front tire is already sliding. if your rear tire is sliding what controls do you have on the bike? gas, brake, and a little bit of steering... so it makes sense that it might be easier to control the bike while the rear tire is sliding, instead of the front tire right?

so with that in mind, suppose you are going around a corner or whatever and you see you are heading into an area where you will not have enough traction for the speed you are carrying, and can't slow down in time to hit the corner at the speed you feel is safe? you are going to slide... so what do you do?
Awww! This is fun! I'm not 100% sure. I have these options in mind:
1) You could deliberately stand the bike up and try to brake as much as possible either until you come to a complete stop or perhaps just enough that you slow down and then start to turn again on the very outside of the turn. That latter point seems more difficult and the former point feels like most scenarios wont allow for it... because there is probably something hard just off the corner and you wont be able to stop before you arrive at it.
2) You take the corner! Fully commit to it. Put your bum on the side of the seat and keep your posture such that you can keep the bike more upright during the turn and maintain more friction. ALSO.. like you said... accelerate smoothly and progressively faster to load the rear wheel more thus making it more likely the rear wheel will slide and thus giving you more control over any slide that may occur. If the rear wheel slides (like you said), you can then decelerate gently to regain traction and adjust steering to make the bike more upright (and gain traction).

Also -- as I understand it -- you should never aim to load the front and rear wheel 50% each anyway. I understand that on sports bikes (including the ninjette) the rear wheel has more grip.

That's my thoughts.

D- ??
akima is offline   Reply With Quote