View Single Post
Old November 9th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #12
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagobob View Post
This build didn't cost that much. 7" headlights are available new from several vendors and used on eBay - any old bike headlight will fit. You could also use a modern streetfighter-type light, or something like Trail Tech's X-2, which has a cool shroud that can be trimmed to look like a cafe flyscreen.

Headlight ears are $15 off Amazon and other vendors, or you can make them yourself with aluminum plate and hose clamps. You can also use a bottom-mount, Harley-type, headlight mounted to the horn bracket bolts.

Turn signals are everywhere and cheap - as little as $20 for four, but those aren't very good quality. Mine were leftover from another project, but cost about $15 each.

Taillights are also cheaply-available from many suppliers, including Amazon. Mine was $13, and uses LEDs.

I fabbed the taillight/license mount from aluminum plate - $2.69 from Ace Hardware, plus $6 for the black spray paint.

I plugged the ends of the frame rails, where I cut them off, with plastic hardware store furniture hole plugs - $29 cents each.

The big expense for me was the Trail Tech Vapor. It retails for $129, and the indicator light housing retails for about $50, but I got them off eBay for less than that. If you don't need a tach or water temp gauge, you could use an aftermarket analog speedo - $30 to 75 - or remount your stock one in a plastic coffee cup or toddler mug (painted an appropriate color, of course).

I get a lot of parts from Mike's XS and SpeedMoto.

The best thing about all this is that the bike feels a lot better at 275 lbs than it did at 300 - all that weight is above your knees, so the bike is much more flickable, and easier to handle at parking lot speeds, when it's gone.
Good to know, thanks!

Perhaps on a future bike...I don't plan on keeping ol' Zero forever. With two previous owners, I don't know what their upkeep was like and I'd rather not risk a headache making him a bike-for-life. :P
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote