View Single Post
Old November 19th, 2012, 02:25 AM   #6
JELY1990
Boring is my middle name.

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
No offense, but that's a bunch of ignorant crap. If something is not illegal, than it is legal. There doesn't have to be a law to make something legal, otherwise, it wouldn't be legal to breathe.
So you don't believe in legal gray areas?

I based what I said off of this:

"Lane Splitting
Many motorcyclists new to California ask about "lane splitting". There is no "lane splitting" law as such. Perhaps the most relevant statute is CVC 21658, below. Be aware that phrasing like "...entirely within a single lane..." has been used to justify ticketing motorcyclists with their handlebars (or some other bike component) partly in each lane.

21658. Whenever any roadway has been divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic in one direction, the following rules apply:
(a) A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practical entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from the lane until such movement can be made with reasonable safety.
(b) Official signs may be erected directing slow-moving traffic to use a designated lane or allocating specified lanes to traffic moving in the same direction, and drivers of vehicles shall obey the directions of the traffic device.

But don't despair. The official website of the California Highway Patrol includes a page of frequently asked questions. Among them:

Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?
Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner."
http://www.calmsta.org/ca_vc.htm

The fact that it is up to the cop whether or not to ticket the rider even if they're lane splitting perfectly safely makes it a gray area to me.

Also, you might as well not even use the term "no offense." If you're gonna be rude about something just do it outright.
JELY1990 is offline   Reply With Quote