View Single Post
Old November 27th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #16
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Hmm, let's see here. I'll answer here, and then go edit my post later if my answers help
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
What is this for?:
"A basic projector off fleabay (or wherever)"
That's what is used to control the HID bulb. It is designed to keep the bulb in the focus of the reflector bulb (think foci of an ellipse), similar to the halogen reflector.It also has a little cut-off gate that flips up and down to control the "high" beam. It is what makes bi-xenon without glare possible.

Quote:
"Now is the time for painting".......what?
I painted the OEM reflector and the shroud that came with the bi-xenon projector. Paint is optional, I just did it because I like the look.

Quote:
"to secure my halo to the projector shroud." Any angle or position?
I just attached it to the front of the shroud because I wanted a halo around my projector. This step also isn't necessary, and you can use any kind of LED's that you want. Or not. Up to you.

Quote:
Cost of parts?
The DDM kit was about $50. The Projector was about $30. I'd say the other parts and shipping brought it to right around $100, not including the spare headlight. Including the spare headlight, it was about $130.

Quote:
Time estimate?
The DDM harness was already installed. That alone took about 2 hours from taking the fairings off to riding off. YMMV, but I bet it would be faster without taking pictures and figuring it out as you go like I did.

Getting the headlight apart took about 30 minutes total, including convincing my lovely GF to loan me her overpowered hair dryer

Paint took 48 hours to dry. JB weld sat for about 12 hours to dry.

Install and picture/play time took about 45 minutes.

Overall with planning ahead of time, I had it done in a few days. I started Saturday that I got back for break, and was out riding by Tuesday. Definitely plan this one for the off-season so you don't waste riding weather like I did.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote