View Single Post
Old December 9th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #2598
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Basically re-did the work that I performed yesterday.

Before doing anything I started the bike up and noticed that the clutch was significantly improved, but was disengaging about 90% of the way with the symptoms I stated above. Maybe the clutch plates sitting in oil overnight helped with the possible binding?

I double checked my plates to see that they were in the correct orientation and bolted everything back up. Took my time with the clutch plate bolts, torquing them evenly with a star pattern until they were snug and thankfully the paper gasket didn't rip off when I removed the clutch cover. Lost about half a quart of oil but I had Rotella T6 on hand. No oil leaks when putting the clutch cover back on. I paid special attention to the clutch release lever/clevis and made sure it was properly interfacing with the clutch rod and was able to adjust the clutch cable near the bottom so that proper free play was achieved at the lever.

Upon first start up I had the same symptoms but they gradually went away as the engine warmed up. The clutch lever pull was extremely light compared to yesterday where I had to squeeze the hell out of it, the lever is definitely stiffer but not too stiff to the point where it tires out the hand after multiple pulls. It got to the point where I could adjust the clutch lever so that I could comfortably pull the lever compared to how I previously had to adjust the clutch wayyyyyy out to get complete disengagement.

Everything seems alright now, even though I don't know exactly what caused the problems in the first place.

Other than about half a quart of oil and an hour lost, glad to have fixed this.