View Single Post
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #163
kbryant
Area P

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
Hey Kerry, in your opinion, what do you think the motor can reach with a bit more work? (pistons, head work) think it can hit 50 with the right compression on pump gas? Stock pistons are only 10.5:1 right?
Well naturally aspirated, I don't think so with any remote reliablility....

Compression would be the first place I would personally start if I was going internal mods. Whether that be through higher compression pistons and tighter squish areas, or simply through alternative thickness head gaskets. I would then explore low octane, high oxygen content race fuels with proper mapping.

With the current rev ceiling, I would be cautious about valve size and cam lift/durations/lobe centers. It would take some R&D to determine those results and/or pitfalls that may show up. When you start pumping in those possible improvements, it may start showing lower end stress with the longer stroke motor. So looking at stronger connecting rods and/or crank mods may be necessary. We also would not know what the clutch and related components would endure. It's really one of those things that just takes R&D and blowing up some motors to aquire the data and perameter limits.
kbryant is offline   Reply With Quote