View Single Post
Old May 25th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #33
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Becca

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250, 02 CBR600 f4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
sorry... it's called confidence in being able to handle a motorcycle in an emergency situation that comes with experience. Also with experience comes the fact you and you alone are in total command of the bike you ride. If you aren't able to see as much as possible of potential hazards on the road, perhaps you just need to gain more experience to gain that confidence?

If I ever crash on a street bike, I would rather it be me trying to control the bike to that very last instant instead of giving up in my mind because I've resigned myself to the "fact" that crashing is done by everyone that rides a bike and it's "my " turn. That is only an excuse/belief for those that have crashed. Better still... avoid situations that put you in potentially hazardous conditions/positions and don't become a factor in an accident.

I learned that an accident is the culmination of a series of events leading up to it. Eliminate any one of those events and you break the path that led to the accident. Being able to "see" that event as one on a path that will result in an accident is something one must develop to recognize. Unfortunately, the most common way to develop that skill is through experience.

http://www.oshatrain.org/courses/pages/702m4.html

Don't get me wrong, I crash all the time on my dirt bike... but that's because I do push past my limits to find out where that "edge" is and how to react to possibly save it. I highly recommend a dirt bike for anyone thinking of getting a street bike.... in fact, I think it should be mandatory to ride dirt bikes for a year or more before applying for a street bike license, but I don't make the laws.
I'm sorry? Please point me to where I said anybody should ever just "give up and accept they're crashing"? My point is that *nobody* can ever guarantee they will be crash free. Experience helps; experience is valuable. Care and attention to driving, plus experience, go a long way towards ensuring your risk is lowered. Even experienced and highly trained racing professionals still crash. You cannot ever guarantee your safety; riding (and life in general) is all about the risk you accept. You do your best to minimize it, but you can never be 100% secure. Nobody on the road should ever feel like they are invincible; that leads to complacency.
Elfling is offline   Reply With Quote