View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #122
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post
What an awesome thread - made my night. Sensible young man not afraid to wear gear or keep learning, I was wondering for a moment if Alex had cooked up a 'perfect newb' thread to help new riders lol!

Enjoy riding in the cold just remember that it takes a while to warm up your tires. I take it easy for the first bunch of corners. They warm up faster with acceleration/deceleration rather than F1 style swerving.

Black ice - I always find it in low spots and places where there's a ton of trees shading the road. Relax and glide through, if you hit it, there nothing else you can do. No brake, no turning, just light on the bars and glide through it.

Looks like you've got all the other cold weather riding techniques figured out!

You can get enduro style clip-on wind deflectors for your hands. If you keep riding in the cold, there's a whole ton of different plug-in gear that uses a rechargeable battery pack instead of plugging into your bike battery. Neck covering is essential!

Have you practiced emergency braking? I know, I know, it's my favourite topic..but do it, we need to keep good examples around

Going up to 3c (37f) tomorrow with NO windchill - awesome! Roads are pretty clear here but look at the deck Had to dig out the bike shed to get to my baby!
haha why thank you That comment made my day!

Yeah black ice scares me, I haven't encountered any as of yet though, but I was wondering if there is any technique to not going down if I do. So now I know, will definitely try to remember that if it happens. I'm usually pretty good at keeping calm in bad situations, so hopefully all of the words of advice I've learned here, from other riding friends and MSF will come to mind when I get an "O **** moment".

Yeah I usually wait until I've gone like 5-8 miles before I start trying anything funny in the corners right now Cold tires plus the possibility of salt and sinders in the corners keep me ridding pretty sensible at the moment!

Next year I am getting cold weather add ons for her. I told myself that on the ride home as my hands were numb My core is always warm though, so unless I just don't feel like layering I don't know that I'll get heated gear. But heated grips and some wind deflectors for the grips, hell yeah! lol.

Sadly I haven't practiced any emergency braking yet. I really want to go the a parking lot and practice that and some other techniques I'm a little rusty on. Like slow speed corners. I'm **** at slow speed stuff. I found this out more than once. So it's something I do need to work on! I may do some of this today since it looks nice out! and is 39 degrees F!!!

I'm just a little scared because in my MSF the only time I screwed up was my 3rd time doing quick stop, got a little grab happy and well, me and the pavement got better acquainted! That being said i THINK I'm past that now, I haven't had any scares on the road yet, and I have had to do 1 or 2 quick stops because stupid cars like to pull out.

O wow!! You have so much snow!! I would cry! But speaking of snow, I went outside to go to work yesterday morning (at 3 in the morning mind you) and there was snow on my bike! I was like wtf? Where did that come from? We weren't supposed to get snow! I would have put it in the garage had I known that! But it was just that powdery stuff, and i wiped her down thoroughly once it melted!