View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2013, 07:57 AM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Since Ed failed miserably, I had to go to pick up the slack.

Attendance was good. Not much different overall from my past visits… you can do the whole thing thoroughly in a couple of hours, tops.

I was focused on comparing potential next bikes for me… Ninja 300, CBR500R, all the standard-issue supersports below 1000 cc except Yamaha and Ducati. I also wanted to get a really close look at the 300 and 500R to see about tweaking the ergos… room for clip-ons? Rearset potential? Etc.

Impressions -- I like the 300 a lot. Very tempting. The CBR500R looks good to my eye and is a nice size for me. No way to install spools (WTF?) but comparing a stock CBR500R to a Ninja 300 with my preferred mods (AreaP, rearset adjusters and clip-ons) I think the 300 probably wins. The 300 has established aftermarket support that the 500 lacks. If that changes…. hmmm….

Since at a bike show you're really just judging looks and ergos, that's what I paid attention to.

Of the supersports, I really liked the new ZX6R 636. Traction control and power modes both standard, which I didn't know. The TC is interesting and has gotten good buzz on the net. ABS available. The GSXR also appeals to me for its small size… it fits me the best. The CBR needs an update. The oh-so-sexy Triumph Daytona is just a wee bit too tall for me, though the standard 2013 model is supposed to be lower (they only had the 2013 675R there). Also sat on the KTM RC8R (too tall) and the MV Agusta F3 (oh, that exhaust!).

Unexpected find was the new BMW F800GT. If I decide to grow up, act my age and buy a middle-aged guy's bike this would be near the top of the list.

A unique treat was the actual World's Fastest Indian streamliner, the Munro Special. This bike and Bill Munro were the subject of a really good Anthony Hopkins movie a few years back. It was opened up so you could see inside. Very, very cool stuff.

Glad I went, even though my car got towed (Thank you for contradictory and confusing parking signs, NYC! Thank you for a process so inefficient that it takes two hours to process 30 people in line! Thank you for charging $185 for the tow AND $65 for the parking ticket! Public transit next time.).

Ninja 300:

Rearsets are the same as the 250R. I can keep my adjusters:

Plenty of room for clip-ons (more pics in the Nina 300 Tech Talk section)

CBR500R

BMW F800GT

Others
Honda CB1100, a right proper UJM:

2013 Triumph Daytona 675R, which gets my vote for best-looking sportbike

KTM RC8R

MV Agusta F3, which has the sexiest exhaust out there

Obligatory hotness from the Ducati fashion show

And for the ladies…. ATGATT…

End of day, shortly before it got ruined by the NY Transit Police:

adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote