View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #19
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
In a way, you did! Using the bike as intended, especially when new, stretches the chain. It's a wear part. Admittedly, one with a long wear cycle, but a wear part none the less. New, the chains are pre-tensioned/stressed at the factory, but that's a static load. Used on your bike as intended with the dynamic forces all in play, it will take another initial set, then stabilize just fine. As long as your chain is cleaned properly and the tension is kept within spec, it will probably last the average rider the life of the bike.
Thomas,I agree with you on the WD-40 liquid. I get the stuff by the gallon at Home Depot. I have a bicycle shop, and my customers frequently complain of rust issues--particularly since we are on the Maine Coast--salt air and all. There is a product calles Corrosion-X, available in marine stores. After cleaning my chains with WD-40, I apply Corrosion-X, wait a half an hour, and then wipe down the chain. I then apply Maxxima Chain Wax. End of rust. I have never seen a chain rust after that treatment--bicycle or motorcycle. The Maxxima Chain Wax is WONDERFUL on my 30 SP Merckx. The bicycle is completely silent and shifts like a witch. Armstrong should use the stuff.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote