Old February 6th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #38
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
wuuut? do you not ride for long periods of time? Most powder cures at about 400 degrees. 400 or ever is like rebaking it everytime. I would imagine the header gets hotter than that. If its black maybe thats why the color hasnt changed but I wonder if the properties of it changed. If over baked it will get brittle....
To the best of my knowledge these little 250 motors don't put out as much heat as say an R-1 so the exhaust runs cooler. My commute is only 30mins but I have at least 1000mile since I coated it and during that time I did two 250 mile canyon rides. I know the headers where they connect to the engine get hotter then the rest of the pipe so its most likely to change first if at all. I just got in a high temp powder designed to withstand 1000degs and cures at 450, this is what I'll be using on the headers.

The can dosent get nearly as hot as the headers so normal temp powder should work just fine.

Also some paints even though they cure at a set temperature will be able to withstand twice as much after they cool and completly cure. The heat acts as an activator to combine the chemicals that when combined can take the heat.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote