View Single Post
Old February 16th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #333
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavid2002 View Post
Thread needs a follow up!

I put over 3,000 miles on bikes over the summer, rode a 125 for 1k miles and put over 2k on my gs. I had a blast on the bike!!

Last Saturday someone pulled out in front of me 4 blocks from my house when I was going about 40. I was 100% alert, I was wearing a thermal, t shirt, hoodie, HJC full face helmet, skate shoes, and jeans.

I had about 1/4 of a residential sized block to stop. He had started his left to go southbound, but stopped in my northbound lane after seeing me. I locked the brakes, lowsided the bike, and slid into his suv. It happened so fast.
The way this plays out if you were actually 100% alert and had practiced basic stopping or maneuvering skills is:

"Last Saturday someone pulled out in front of me 4 blocks from my house when I was going about 40. Of course I had on all my gear, 'cause I'm not a squid.

I had about 1/4 of a block to stop. He stopped in my northbound lane after seeing me.

I braked hard and downshifted without locking up, did a quick head check to see if following traffic was doing anything stupid, swerved around the stopped SUV, and flipped him the bird on the way past for being an idiot."

Now you have another bike. Hope you decide to take it to a large parking lot somewhere or to an advanced rider course and work skills before the next SUV shows up, 'cause it will.

The larger displacement will just mean that any erratic/panic inputs you make will cause more mayhem.

Good luck.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote