Old February 17th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #29
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGuy View Post
I think part of the "bigger, better" mentality comes from being bombarded by advertising - and that's across the board - from can openers to houses. The real goal is to separate us from our money - bigger ______ usually means more profit. Not to say that getting something bigger or more "refined" is a bad thing. I guess you just have to know if that's what YOU really want and not what you think you should have... IMHO.
Two middle age men in my office's building had discussed the same with me: one owns a R 1200 GS BMW that I can only see on his phone, the other owns a Harley that I have seen ridden only twice.

IMHO is all about most Americans' social competition or rate race mentality that they acquire at young age.

A rat race is an endless, self-defeating and pointless pursuit.

A rat race is mainly based on the vision sense.

How you look to the eyes of others and how expensive the staff that you have accumulated or are financing looks to the eyes of others.

If the other person is an ignorant about that staff, then an affirmative statement follows regarding the monetary value, dimension, speed, HP, c.c. or whatever may be an indicative of superiority not too evident to the eyes of the inferior ignorant.

Frequent American statement: I bought a 5,000 square feet house worth $600,000 in a nice looking neighborhood.

Atypical American statement: I bought a house that is very practical and comfortable, that is close to my workplace and that my family enjoys very much.

It is not how impressive to others' eyes is what you have, it is how much you enjoy and what you do with what you have.

The real success in life, the happiness, the skills, the education, the shame or the misery are not that visible.

"And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint Exupéry / The Little Prince
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote