View Single Post
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #101
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
No no, I never even suggested that. I didn't say slow. I said respect them. That means be aware of your limits. Be smooth and precise through the corner, don't be cocky and reckless.

For example, I used to push too hard and not respect the corners. I pushed right up to my limit; I went as fast as I could and I had some butt-puckering moments because of it. Then I started working on being fluid and smooth. I worked on body positioning. I'm by no means a pro, but when I'm fluid and controlled, the corners always go faster, without being up on my limits. That's what I mean by respecting the corners.

But you really should wear earplugs. The wind noise is a constant high dB roar that can ruin your hearing from long term exposure. There's times I come back from even a bicycle ride with ringing ears.
Well, that and I was just going too fast. Roundabouts are a lot harder to get through than they look. If it was just one curve, then they wouldn't be all that bad, but in this case, I had to throw all my weight right, then left, then right again - all in the span of less than two seconds. I made the first right turn OK, but then over taxed my front tire on the left turn (which didn't hold).
Anyhow, I wont be doing 40 through there for a while.

I tried earplugs one time. They totally mess me up. I couldn't even start the bike with them in. I got about a mile away before I had to pull over and take them out. I was so disoriented I couldn't keep the bike in a straight line. Maybe some day I'll hit the lottery and buy one of those $1500 low noise helmets. Besides, its really hard to hear where all the traffic is when you can't hear anything.