View Single Post
Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:39 AM   #61
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Gear replacement and coverage for accessories on the bike (and what receipts are necessary) depends on your insurance company. Mine has been amazingly easy to deal with on both of those areas. I sent them a spreadsheet for my destroyed gear with prices and when I bought it, and they paid it out at 100% if it was less than a year old, and depreciated it somewhat depending on how many years old it was. They paid it out without any additional receipts. Same with accessories on the bike, I told them what I bought, had pricing and time bought, and they paid out the max coverage ($3K), that I had for that piece.

When it is totalled, yes, they own the bike, but the insurance company doesn't truly care a whit about any extra stuff on the bike. It's just going to a salvage auction where those things don't really affect the value anyway, so it's not that big a deal to remove things from the bike if you're given the opportunity.

Also - don't take the first offer unless you truly feel it's fair, just ask how they got to that estimate, and challenge it with data if needed. I didn't like the first offer as I thought the comparables they found didn't have the same equipment that was on mine. One call to my agent to describe why I felt that way, and the offer for the bike went up $4k the very next day, which I thought was a completely fair outcome.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote