View Single Post
Old February 24th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #17
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): Bike-less, Can I ride yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_little_one View Post
You have some deep questions for such a young man, and the fact that you are even thinking about this will make you a better rider.
There are risks just living everyday, and a reckless driver can hit you whether you are on a motorcycle, in a car, or just walking across the street. One can choose to live safely in bubble-wrap, but what kind of life would that be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
I have to add some humor to this, but this practically sums up my thoughts...

Link to original page on YouTube.

You're also right, you can't control everything and I'm definitely not going to worry about every little thing that I cannot control. You'll end up mind****ing yourself and giving yourself an ulcer. The issue to me is not at all about riding a motorcycle. I think it's funny how people think that one thing has greater risk than another thing. One has to ask, by what standard are they measuring these risks? Statistics? Well, statistics can say a lot of things and they can also negate a lot of things. Risk is also subjective. Anything can happen to you at any given time, at any given moment, no one is invincible.

The best way to look at risk in any form is to be aware that it exist, educate yourself as best as possible and within reason, then hope for the best. I could die today, tomorrow or 5 years from now by some "unknown variable." If you keep thinking about that "unknown variable," you'll never live life to the fullest because you live in fear and fear cripples a lot of people from living. Also, there are disabled people out there who do not let their disability hinder them, they still push to live. That kind of thing is called willpower, you either take life by the balls or life takes you by the balls. It's your mentality and what you do with it, that counts. If you look at the bigger picture, the "movers and shakers" of the world, the pioneers, the visionaries... they take risks, they push the envelope and it's that very reason why we are able to ride a motorcycle to this day. Think about that for a second. If it wasn't for risks, progress would cease to exist, so it's twofold.

Lastly, I close with the philosopher Epicurus, "Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do?"

I agree, perhaps I am just over-thinking the negatives. There are many inspiring, motivational people who have overcome adversity, I could only hope to be more like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
If you always think of the worst case scenario, then you might as well just not live. Driving a car is ridiculously dangerous. Many seemingly ordinary activities can be dangerous. I just try to be as cautious as I can and then don't think about the worst case scenario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
I don't know how accurate this site is (came up on google) but it has some infographics:

http://www.besthealthdegrees.com/health-risks/

I wonder how actuarians live?
I think all of you are right, perhaps I've over-thought the negatives. Maybe once I get on a bike again, it will really remind me of what riding is to me.