View Single Post
Old February 24th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #207
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Quote:
That's exactly what people who start on big bikes say.
Yes and what you're saying is exactly what people who start on small bikes say. From my point of view what bike you should start on is what you personally can handle. So if someone wants a 650 over a 250 and they can handle it, then by all means I think they should get the 650. It's an argument that has no right answer and will be argued over until the world ends and there's nobody left to argue.

Quote:
I just think that if you're going to talk about how friendly a bike is to learning riders, you should talk about other things besides power.
^That is the kind of criticism I like. It would have been better if I talked more about the handling of the bike, however I do recall mentioning that the 500 handles great however it has a squishy suspension (just like a ninjette right?) that's fine enough for the streets. But if I compared the handling of different bikes when all I've primarily ridden is the 500, wouldn't that carry no weight by your standards? The point of the video was to give my perspective on the 500 and a little bit of what I think about other bikes. Power is also an important thing, some people say the 250 has enough if you know what you're doing, others say that it doesn't always have enough for every situation. I can't give my own opinion on this because I haven't ridden one. But the 500 will always have more than enough power so it's something you don't need to worry about. You don't need to have a running start to pass someone on a 500, hell most of the time you don't even need to leave 6th gear. I didn't try to give a first person perspective on any bike but the 500, I fully admitted to not having ridden any others that I was discussing. I conveyed my opinion on the 500 then brought up some stuff about the 250 and other bikes I had heard from places like this forum. I'm not taking this as a direct shot at the 500, or me, I just disagree with some of what you're saying and I think maybe you missed what I was trying to say in the video. Thanks for the handling tip though, too bad I can't just magically add that in lol.

For the record, I have a handling mentality too, I plan on upgrading the suspension on my 500 at some point this spring. But power is important to me as well, I like what my 500 has and I certainly would be okay with more to an extent, but going down in power would be unfavorable for me unless it was a big drop down to like 250 level for an efficient, fun commuter/city bike as a stablemate for my 500. A torque based bike just doesn't sound fun to ride to me, like riding an appliance I guess. The 500 has a little spirit to it and still has plenty of usable mid range.

I'd rather not continue arguing lol I think more or less our opinions just differ on this. In terms of how the vlog actually turned out aside from just the topic, I thought #5 was my best so far. Been too busy to really do much more lately though
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote